From its beginning, North Trenholm Baptist Church has drawn strength from the mission and vision of those who came before us. At the opening of the 20th century, Reverend A. B. Kennedy, Associate Pastor of First Baptist Church, Columbia, began to conduct services for the crowds of children and their families in the downtown Gregg Street area.
In 1911, Tabernacle Baptist Church was organized with a charter membership of 102. A cornerstone of inner-city ministry for more than three decades, the church was faced with a shifting population and the growth of the city's businesses. In 1955 the church voted to move to its present location and adopted its new name: North Trenholm Baptist Church.
Beginning with what is now the Chapel and a portion of the old educational building, the growing ministry and mission of the church required the addition of a second unit to the educational building in 1965. Conscious that our young people represent the continuation of the church's vision into the future, the congregation also dedicated a Youth Building the same year.
The membership continued to grow throughout the sixties, and a survey of ministry needs indicated that the church badly needed a new center to be used for worship. Another phase in the growth of the church was begun, and in December 1973 the first services were held in the new Worship Center. In addition to a uniquely shaped worship place, the 22,968 square foot facility houses several offices, the church conference room, and a choir rehearsal suite with two robing areas for the Worship Choir. It also includes four classrooms on the wings of the Worship Center itself.
The decade of the 1980s brought the addition of a multi-purpose Family Life Center for active sports such as basketball, volleyball and table games. Renovations of older parts of the buildings were also undertaken during this period.
Numerical growth of the church in the 1990s led to the construction of the new Education/Administration Complex. This building was completed in January 1993. It features a spacious office complex for the church staff, a Seminar Center, four adult education suites with moveable walls, and one senior adult education suite. It also has a general information lobby/reception area and a prayer room. This building stands as testimony to the church's desire to be flexible in winning and growing people in their walk with the Lord Jesus Christ.
Always aware of Psalm 127:1, "Except the Lord build the house they labor in vain that build it.", North Trenholm Baptist Church now looks forward to a new set of challenges. Key to meeting the challenges before us is reaching the next generation with the good news of Jesus Christ. To aid in meeting this challenge, North Trenholm built a 14,000 square foot Student Building in 2006 at a cost of $2.4 million. This new center is designed to meet the needs of middle and high-school students well into the future.
In May 2011, the church celebrated our Centennial by looking back and also looking forward to where God wants us to go. These are times of great opportunity for God's people. From its birth, this church has been driven by a desire to reach people where they are with the message of salvation through the Lord Jesus Christ. Through a rich legacy of faithfulness, the people that are this church have devoted themselves to the task of the Great Commission of Matthew 28:18-20. The years ahead promise to be fruitful as we seek how God wants us to continue to change our ministry to reach people without changing the faith and message that brought us here. Come be a part as we join God where He is working as a family of faith!